Clinical Management Workshop – Organizational Integration around Medical Conditions
Case Discussion MD Anderson Cancer Center
The workshop Organizational Integration around Medical Conditions start with a Harvard Business School case discussion on the MD Anderson Cancer Center. The case describes in detail how University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center had reorganized itself from a cancer hospital that was physically organized around clinical specialties into one that was organized into disease-based integrated practice units called multidisciplinary care centers. These units were supported by a new construction project that had created new disease-specific facilities and a widely-supported administrative plan in which physicians reported both to leadership of specialty-based academic departments and disease-based clinical centers.
Key Learnings for the Dutch situation
The case provoked a lively discussion about the way MD Anderson organises its practice units, and how this is done or could be done in the Netherlands. The key learnings of the workshops were:
- Organizing multidisciplinairy care around diseases mean that both multidisciplinairy cooperation of medical professionals is needed as well as co-location (in the same building)
- Practice units should be integrated and be uncoupled from finance units. The financial structure should not be leading the organizational structure.
- Medical AND managerial coordinators are essential for optimal collaboration between units.
Quotes from our participants:
- ‘The workshop discussed an acutal and relevant case’.
- ‘The new insights on integrated care are practically applicable for my situation.’
- ‘The case analysis and discussion were excellent. The different backgrounds of the participants enabled an inspiring discussion.’
During the session various references were made to studies and reports. Here you can find a link for further reading on the topic:
For more information about the Workshop Series, the brochure of the program can be downloaded from our website.
If you’re interested in more in-depth knowledge on how to improve your organizations, please have a look at :
If you would like to discuss any of this in further detail or you want to know more? Please contact Maike van der Waal at 0346-574942, or send an e-mail to; firstname.lastname@example.org