Clinical Management Workshop – Process-based Management in Healthcare
Process-based Management in Healthcare; managing innovative environments
During this workshop the Harvard Business School Case Intermountain Healthcare is taught.
Intermountain Healthcare is a 21-hospital integrated delivery system serving Utah and southern Idaho that is nationally recognized for its highly structured approach to managing the quality of clinical care. This case describes Intermountain’s system for improving clinical performance that makes use of the organization’s extensive set of standardized clinical protocols and associated clinical process and outcome measures. The measures underpin a sophisticated set of financial incentives that are applied to both administrative and clinical staff. The case also illustrates how a thoroughly planned change strategy was executed. A coordinated plan of various change interventions let to the successes made.
The case allows participants to evaluate the implementation and consequences of patient-oriented medicine. Furthermore, it illustrates a sophisticated set of financial incentives that are applied to both administrative and clinical staff. Thirdly, it provides profound insights in the type and sequence of change interventions that led to true commitment of its employees.
Key Learnings for the Dutch situation
After the case discussion we translate the key learnings to the Dutch healthcare system. The key learnings of the workshops were connected to the following topics:
- Creating one language for both medical practitioners and administrators is a key success factor
- Incentives are not primarily financial. Also prestige, peer pressure and commitment from the local social community are part of the incentive system
- At the starting phase communication and selection of the promoters and early adaptors are main priority
- The IT system was not only supporting the change, it was demanding the change
- Professional autonomy was well intertwined with standardization
After the workshop participants return home with a new perspective on healthcare management.
For more information about the Workshop Series, the brochure of the program can be downloaded from our website.
Prefer a more practical session?
Check our Masterclass Organizaton Design (in Dutch)
Contact us at 0346-574942, or send an e-mail to Maike van der Waal; email@example.com.